Scarlett Johansson and Disney have reached a settlement in the lawsuit filed by the actress over alleged breach of contract surrounding the release of the film Black Widow . The film studio and Johansson announced this on Thursday. Details of the settlement have not been disclosed.
“I am very pleased that we have come to an agreement with Scarlett Johansson on Black Widow, ” said Disney CEO Alan Bergman. Johansson also announced on Thursday that he was satisfied and that he was looking forward to future collaborations with the world-famous film studio.
The actress disagreed that the Marvel film would premiere in theaters and on the Disney+ streaming service on the same day. The amount that the actress receives for the film largely depends on how many cinema tickets are sold. Johansson said he was missing out on money due to the simultaneous release on Disney+. In July, she sued the company.
According to Johansson’s lawyer, Disney was hiding behind the corona pandemic and the film immediately appeared on Disney+, because the company wants more subscribers.
Disney lashed out at the 36-year-old actress for the lawsuit, calling it “an insensitive disregard for the horrific and long-lasting global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic”.
The company also claimed that there was no breach of contract, because the actress already received more than 20 million dollars (17.2 million euros) for her acting and she would already have been “amply compensated” before the release.
It is not known for how much the film company and the actress have reached a settlement. Black Widow has so far brought in about 380 million dollars (328 million euros).