The American artist R. Kelly remains in the cell because he can not pay the one million dollars to be released on bail. That’s what his lawyer said on Sunday.
The judge determined the amount for the deposit on Saturday. Kelly had reported to the police on Friday. He has been officially charged with ten cases of sexual abuse.
“Correct”, said Steve Greenberg, the musician’s lawyer, on the question of whether his client is still trapped. He said Saturday that his client was not as rich as his fame would suggest. “This is someone who should be rich at this stage of his career, but because of maladministration, bad contracts and bad deals, he really does not have any money at the moment.”
Kelly is in court on Monday. During this session he gets the chance to confess guilty or to argue that he is innocent.
Victims did a story in documentary
The singer would have been abusing women for years. Some of the alleged victims did their story in the documentary Surviving R. Kelly.
The lawsuit has so far involved four victims, three of whom were minors at the time of the alleged abuse. Although the singer’s lawyer claims that there is no evidence for the abuse, the prosecutor says he has DNA material.
Kelly’s sperm would have been found on his hairdresser’s shirt. A video showing how Kelly has sex with a fourteen-year-old girl is also in the hands of the prosecutors.