Accused of staging his false assault, the actor was charged by a grand jury
A change of scene in Chicago. The lawsuit against actor Jussie Smollett, who was suspected of staging his false assault and who had been indicted by a grand jury , were dropped on Tuesday. In front of the cameras, the actor thanked his family and his fans: “From the beginning, I did not change my version and I told the truth,” he said. The actor’s lawyers stated that it was not an amicable settlement: all the charges were dropped and expunged from his criminal record.
“This has been an incredibly difficult time”— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) March 26, 2019
Empire actor Jussie Smollett says he just wants to “get back to work and move on” with his life, after prosecutors drop charges against him https://t.co/zTIQGN0sDk pic.twitter.com/M48dR8Uv3f
The prosecutor’s office did not explain its decision, simply stating: “After reviewing all the facts and circumstances, we believe that this decision is the appropriate conclusion of the case. The prosecutor’s office referred to Smollett’s “volunteerism” in the community, and to the fact that he had agreed that his $ 10,000 bond would not be reimbursed.
“Jussie Smollett has always claimed his innocence, and we are satisfied with the abandonment of the charges against him,” responded the Fox channel, which had temporarily suspended the actor of the production of his series Empire.
The police chief, Eddie Johnson, did not defend the investigation and did not hide his anger, saying at a press conference, “Do I feel that justice has been returned? No. “